June 19, 2009

I have finally stopped shaking!!

Just a quick post to tell you about an experience I had earlier this week. After much prayer and deliberation, Tim and I said "yes" to Megan to go with some friends on a "road trip" to Caldwell, Idaho. Caldwell is about a 5 1/2 hour drive and is past Boise!! One of Megan's good friends just graduated and the girls cooked up this idea for five girls to drive to Caldwell for three days for a little summer fun...BY THEMSELVES!!!! We even got together a couple of months ago at our house to have dinner and a little parents meeting to talk about it. One of the parents refused from the get go to let her daughter go, and there was no changing her mind. The other four parents decided it would be a good opportunity for these girls to have a little experience on their own. Hailey (the girl who just graduated) grew up in Caldwell and moved to Pleasant View 3 years ago. She wanted to take her Pleasant View friends to hang out with her Caldwell friends. Megan had her own motivation. Last year she met a boy at EFY that she has been keeping in touch with all year that lives in Eagle, Idaho. She thought it would be fun to see him again. He had come by to see Megan last month, and so she thought it would be fun to see him in Eagle, Id too.

So on Monday morning the three girls got into the car and took off. One of the girls had gotten sick the day before and didn't go. Needless to say, I was dreading this trip. However, Megan is almost 18, and I have to face the fact she is growing up. I received a few texts and a few phone calls from Megan on Monday and was glad to hear they were safe. On Tuesday morning, my phone rang about 9:00 a.m. I had yet to hear from Megan. The voice on the other end said "Could I please speak to either the mother or father of Megan Marsden". My heart stopped, I began to shake, I feared it was either the hospital or the Highway Patrol calling. I believe you would too!! Who calls and says that???!!! I said this is her mother. Then the male voice on the other end said "This is the ACT prep course calling to see if you are interested in buying our service". What????!!!!! A sales call?????!!! My precious baby girl is over 300 miles away ON HER OWN basically, and you choose of all days in her lifetime to call on one of the three days she is away ON HER OWN. POOR TIMING. If I was Lesley, I would have told him what to do with his freckles, but instead I just said, this is not a good time for me right now, and I hung up the phone, fell to my knees and prayed for the next two days to go quickly and for Megan to return home safe. She did return home Wednesday night as originally planned. Safe, happy and she had a blast. Being a parent is not for wimps!!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

HAHAHAHAHA I liked the bit about the freckles. I never knew that story about Aunt Lesley until a couple months ago and it has quickly become a favorite! I think I would have died. I'm going to have to get some tougher skin. I even get nervous when I go on vacation and leave Adam at home...it reminds me of the time when I drove by myself up to Utah. I talked to Adam the night before at about 10:00 and then started driving back. He didn't answer his phone and I waited. I didn't call through church because I knew thats where he'd be. After church I tried calling and figured he had his phone on silent so I waited another hour and then tried again. Mindy called when I was at about St. George asking where her slacker friends were at church. When I realized Adam wasn't there I sped home going 90 miles an hour down the Virgin River Gorge. I ended up sending people over to my house to make sure he hadn't cracked his head open. Turns out he was working and didn't tell me. Gosh dang it. So I promptly returned home and killed him for making me think he was dead.

PS of all your kids you'd think Megan would be the most trustworthy on a roadtrip hahaha

Bea said...

WHAT A SCARE!!!
No, parenting is not for wimps.
Neither is growing older.
I am glad to see she is NOT holding hands with him in the first picture.
Cute pictures though, and a handsome young man.!!!!!
It does take courage to let them go on a trip.
When we were at the beach and all our "kids" were in the ocean playing, Granpa sat, "there is...", "and....," "where is ....?" "oh there he is."
You always look for them...... at least Granpa does. :o)

Little GrumpyAngel said...

Alan and I were just reading this and if this happened to us we would be hyperventilating! We're glad Megan is okay.

Lilian said...

I would have freaked out too! Definitely bad timing on the part of the ACT guy. Can you imagine the poor guy being told what to do with his freckles just for making what seemed to be an innocent phone cale? HA HA!

You're a more brave mom than I because I would have said "NO" in the first place!!