October 8, 2008

Sean where the HE## have you been...

Some of you might remember that experience I had with Sean when he was a young boy. Well, last night I had a repeat. On Monday, Sean called me and started our conversation like this.

"Hi mom, guess what?...I just aced my test!!!" After telling him congratulations, he said, "Oh and by the way, I may be doing something really crazy tomorrow night." Then he proceeded to TELL me that his favorite group was coming to Salt Lake and he had always promised himself that if they ever came, he was going to go. He had arrange with his roommate who has a car and is a fan too, that they would leave Rexburg at 2:00p.m., get to Salt Lake by 6:00p.m. enjoy the concert and then get back on the road by about 11:00p.m. and arrive back in Rexburg by 3:00a.m. and he said he would be able to make it to his 9:00a.m. class with no problem. You can only imagine I wasn't thrilled with the idea, but what can I do. For those of you who may or may not know. Sean is very careful with his money and has been all his life. Thus Sean is fiscally sound. I couldn't use the line, "that would be a waste of money", because Sean has never wasted money. As I tried to share my concerns with him, he kept reassuring me that everything was going to be alright. I did feel a little better when I found out that four students would be driving down, and thought they could all help each other stay awake. So, I went to bed early knowing I would wake up during the night and I could call him to help ease my mind. The first time I woke up was 11:38p.m. I called his phone and asked him where they were. He told me that they hadn't left SALT LAKE, but would be leaving soon. When I woke up next at 2:00a.m. and tried him, he didn't answer but I thought that he had turned off his phone because it went right to the message. At 5:15 a.m. I called Tim (7:15a.m. for him) because he is in New York and I knew he would be leaving for meetings soon. He said he had tried calling too, but had not received an answer. I figured he was sleeping so I didn't want to call Sean until 8:30a.m when he should be up and getting ready for school. So, at 8:30a.m. I called his phone and he still didn't answer. I figured he must be in the shower, and I would try back in a few minutes. At 8:45a.m. I called KNOWING that he would be walking out the door any minute to make it to his 9:00 a.m. class and he had reassured me he was going to. When he didn't answer. I promptly started looking through the BYUI Cenntenial Apartment contract to find his apartment phone number. One of his roomates answered and said that Sean was asleep. I asked the roommate to wake him up that I needed to talk to him. I heard the roommate go into Sean's room and say, "Seannnnn, you are in trouble....your mom is on the phone." My charming son answered and said " Oh, I am so glad you called so I can make it to my class (doesn't that sound a little bit like charming Jeremy), I must have slept through my alarm clock." I said "what time did you get in" in replied 7:00 AM." He then said, "let me call you right back and I will tell you the entire story, I will get dressed and call you on my way to class." A few minutes later, he called me back to tell me that while driving through Incom, Idaho, they hit a DEER!!! The driver was fortunatly thinking straight and knew that if he had tried to miss the deer, they would have flipped over and landed in a ditch. I think he said that was around 2:00 a.m. All of the passengers were uninjured. The car was inoperable. One of the passengers of the car had family in Pocatello, ID so they called and they came and got the four of them. I know the police came too. I know they slept there in Pocatello for a while then someone took them to Idaho Falls, and then someone else drove them from Idaho Falls to Rexburg, thus they arrived at 7:00a.m. I have not talk to him since. He has class until 2:00p.m. today. I am getting ready to have a NAP. I am exhausted, I didn't get much sleep last night as you can imagine. However, I am feeling very grateful that my prayers were heard and answered and that Sean (along with the other three students) are fine. Please excuse me if this doesn't make complete sense, I am SOOOOOO tired right now!!

6 comments:

Bea said...

So when is the funeral? Except you are just so glad he is still around to tell the tale. See, my blog #6. What will you do when he is in Australia (all those kangaroos) I guess just pray harder :o)

Little GrumpyAngel said...

Marge I'm cracking up right now because Tara just read your post and said, "Wow, Mom, I never would have thought Auntie Margie is capable of saying that word! I can imagine everyone else in the family saying that but not Auntie Margie." Shocking!!!! I'm kidding you of course. I completely sympathize but it's also way funny, I love it! You're a way cool SIL. And so nice about the whole thing still. If it were AJ after I hug him and give thanks he's okay, I would have gone ballistic on him for not letting me know what he was up to. But then maybe not. Sean is testing the outer borders of young manhood when he doesn't have to check in with Mommy anymore :-) It's too precious. I can't wait for my turn.

Lesley said...

This is quite the story Margie. It really is hard at times to let them grow up and make their own choices. Basically, we don't let them, it just happens. I'm glad all is well. I still remember the original story of where the #@*% is Sean. It's a great one :-)

Melissa said...

I like how you changed Hell to He## Thats pretty funny, you should have changed it to He!! cause that looks more like hell. I just like typing hell lol

em said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
em said...

What an adventurous night for Sean, but for YOU TOO, Margie!! Oh, I would have been SO worried about him all through the night. Glad he and his friends are ok. hope you got a nice NAP in today!!!