January 20, 2011

Two Years Ago Today....

Yes!! That is right, it was two years ago today that we took Elder Sean Marsden to the MTC in Provo, Utah!!

January 21, 2009 we were full of anticipation and wonder as we looked ahead. I can honestly say that my experience of having a son serve a mission has been two of the best years of my life. I have loved having a missionary and I have felt happy and sustained and full of joy throughout the past two years!!This was one of the last hugs I gave Sean before we said goodbye!

Sean still has yet to meet Hannah. Melissa was just a couple months pregnant with Hannah when Sean left. Hannah will turn 18 months old the day after he returns. Recently, Melissa had a visit from a director of the Korean program. He had never meet Adam before. As he was looking at a picture of Sean that they have on their refrigerator, he asked Melissa if that was her husband. Melissa told him the picture was her brother, he was surprised because he said Hannah looks so much like him. Many people have commented on how much Hannah looks like her Uncle Sean.

Tim and I have totally enjoyed sharing in this experience together.
Megan has missed Sean A LOT!!!! She has gone from being a junior at Weber High School to a freshman at BYUI. She will be so happy to have her big brother home :). It will be great for both of them to be at BYUI TOGETHER.
I will never forget the big smile Sean gave all of us just after we sang "Called to Serve" and he turned around to say good-bye. He actually had a big smile on his face even though I am sure it wasn't easy.

Right from the start, Elder Marsden jumped into the work and has had such a positive attitude. He has been an AMAZING communicator. He has never missed one week in writing to us and has wanted to share his mission with all of us. He has sent a personal note to Tim, me, Melissa and Megan each week and we have cherished his expression of love and personal interest in our lives. He has remained positive and happy and even though I am sure he has had hard times, he has taken it like a man!

He has loved serving in Australia and has loved the beauty of the country, the sport, the culture, food etc...

He has served from the very southern tip of Australia to the most northern top. He has served with nine different companions in Australia and has served in five different areas. But most of all, Elder Marsden has loved the people of Australia and those he has taught and served.


My heart has ached for him as he has had to say goodbye to those he loves. This little excerpt is from a letter he sent as he was leaving Darwin....
Hey guys! The big news is sad/nervous/happy news. We got transfer calls last night, and I have to be on a plane today at 12:15. Where I am going I don't know, but I am assuming I am headed back to Adelaide. Saying goodbye is possibly the hardest thing I have had to do in my life. I thought it would be sad, and that I could handle it, but going around and saying goodbye to people has absolutely taken a toll on my heart. This morning when I went to go say goodbye to Roben, he was unprepared, and he wanted to give me something. He was frantically searching around and then in a last resort attempt went to his wallet. He pulled out a considerable amount of money and gave it to me. At that point I couldn't hold back anymore, and I lost all control of my tears. He is the most charitable man! Here I am, this well to do punk from the states, and here a war torn Burmese refugee wants to give me his money. It absolutely killed me. I couldn't accept it, and refused it. He persisted, and he clenched my hands so I couldn't hand it back to him. After we left I gave it to Elder Lyman and I told him to give it to him when he goes back. I absolutely love these people with all my heart!! Leaving them is probably the hardest thing I have had to do. The Nepalese fed us breakfast this morning, and wanted to take pictures with us. I was able to say farewell to many others too. I LOVE THEM ALL!! Please pray for me that the Lord will sustain me. I am kind of in shock still. I really don't want to leave. I know the Lord is in charge, and I am going to where he needs me."
Now Elder Marsden will be saying good-bye again. His heart has grown and expanded in ways we couldn't comprehend. I too have felt sustained and supported. I have truly felt deep gratitude and joy and peace. I attribute that feeling to my Heavenly Father. When Sean was set apart, our stake president asked him when he knew he wanted to go on a mission. Sean responded by saying "I have known as long as I can remember".
So now we enter into his next transfer. The next step in life that his mission has truly helped prepare him for. It has been an incredible ride!!
Sean's oldest baptism

Sean has loved teaching people from all walks of life.

Baptising Olivia on Christmas Eve 2009

Adelaide, AustraliaA tropical rainstorm and welcome relief from the heat in Darwin.

Elder Marsden & Elder Dittmore

Elder Marsden with President Poulton

Enjoying the wonders of Darwin

Sean holding the Didgeridoo that an Aboriginal family made for him. The Didgeridoo was painted using their own hair. It is really cool!! He mailed it home slow boat and we have it home waiting for him.
A group of missionaries went out one P-day to explore!

The beautiful coast of Australia!

Sean has loved meeting people from all over the world! And they have loved him.

Sean's youngest baptism

He has loved and learned from each of his companions.

Adelaide, Australia temple

This has been an incredible journey for our family. I just five days I will be able to hug and hold Sean. I am so excited!! I get butterflies in my stomach every time I think about it. I have been dreaming of this day for a long time. Even before he left I have thought about what it would be like to have him come home. My heart is full!!
I express thanks to you, our wonderful family and friends who have come along on this journey with our family. You have been a great support to all of us. Thank you for your prayers and the interest you have taken in Sean. Your support has meant a lot to all of us. A big thank you to Melissa and Megan who have been such dedicated and devoted sisters to their brother and have sent emails each week to him and have been totally into his mission. Finally to my sweet Tim!! He has put up with me shoving him out of the way so I can read the emails first. Tim has written a letter and mailed a letter to Sean every week of his mission. In every letter he has quoted Joseph Smith and concluded each letter by writing... "Shall we not go on in so great of cause". I add my AMEN to that. We shall!! I love you all!!




























6 comments:

Lilian said...

First of all.... YAY! You updated your blog!

Second. WOW! How time flies when it's not your own son! This post had brought me to tears. Tears of JOY for you all and the excitement of his return home. I can honestly say that I know how it feels. What a great reunion you will all have! I too look forward to seeing Sean!!

Also tears of bittersweet. You mentioned that last smile before he walked away from you for two years. Something I will soon see myself again. Not looking forward to that part. But looking forward to having another son on a mission. What a blessing.

Lesley said...

Awesome post!! It brought tears to my eyes and made me laugh as well. I can't believe that these two years are gone. Sean and all of you have done great!!!!!!! I can't wait to see him. What a wonderful family you are. We love you guys!!!!

Bea said...

Well Done!!! ALL of you.

Georgia said...

I love, love, loved this blog post! I'm so excited for the Marsden/Ensign clans and for our family too. It is going to so amazing to have this incredible young man back among us.

Sean has served such a tremendous mission. We are so amazed by him and by his whole family too. You are and have always been such great examples to all who know you. Thank you for bringing so many blessings into my life!

Archie said...

Fantastic post Margie! I've followed Sean's blog every week. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. We are excited to see Sean!!!

Love you!!!

Georgia said...

Margie, Will you please allow Dani access to your blog. She said she can't see yours or Melissa's. She is feeling sad and left out.

Thank you!!

We need to schedule a scone evening soon! What is next week like for you?