January 13, 2010

Post inspired by Lilian!!

It dawned on me that out of Tim's siblings, we will be the first family to have all of our children finished with high school. Archie and Julee will follow about one week later as Aubree will graduate. To tell you the truth, the time has gone way too fast, and I don't know if I am ready to be at this stage of life. However, because of Lilian and her post, I am starting to recognize a few things I will not miss. In the past few days I am realizing...no more SEOP's, no more Federal Survey Cards & my personal favorite...NO MORE ACT test!!!

I have gained a very unique perspective of the school system. I have now substitute taught for about eight years. The first few years it was here and there, but the last several years, I have taught an average of 3 times per week. My favorite place to teach is at Weber High School and I am there most of the time. I even made the yearbook!! However, I also sub at North Ogden Jr. High and Orion Jr. High and I enjoy the diversion and change. Jr. High is a very very unique time in life. I have labeled this time of life "caught in the middle of in between". It is almost like a human zoo watching the different ages and stages of development. I say that with the utmost of love and concern for the students and this time of life.

I take what I do seriously. I strive to watch out for the students and often times I feel like I have a "grandma roll". Let me explain. I don't have the responsibility for the students that the teacher does, but I have the opportunity to watch out for and help and lift those I come in contact with. All three of my children have been shocked at times when we have been at the store and a "druggy" comes up to say "hi" to me. I have had countless conversations with countless students about countless experiences and trials they are facing. To be very honest, many of "those students" (students that don't always fit in) have been among my favorites. A lot are ignored by the happy successful students, and they need a friend. It is amazing how many students can go throughout an entire day without one person smiling at them, let alone saying "hi". On a number of occasions Sean has encouraged me to become a psychiatrist! All three of our children have been very generous to me by not being too embarrassed at having me at their school.

Generally speaking I usually prefer having to discipline boys to girls. This is especially true for the jr. high set. The reason for this is if I have to be strict or discipline someone, boys generally "forgive" my strict discipline or reprimand. Girls however will oft times hold it against me for months...not so much in high school, but for sure in jr. high. It is a very rare occasion I have to do any disciplining in high school. If I do, I usually start by saying something like "please don't force me to treat you like you are in jr. high". That comment is enough to stop the unwanted behavior.


I love how each time I go to school my day is very different. I often time don't know what to expect that day, and so I don't get bored. The teachers at Weber know I can bluff my way through most any PowerPoint, so I do a lot of that and I enjoy learning along with the students. Sometimes the teachers send me home with homework to prepare for taking their class. One time I taught a gym class and ended up telling some of the students they were a bunch of wimps and even I could beat them. Recently I was teaching a class called Adult Roles.
The teacher had arranged for a guest lecturer to come and talk about date rape. He brought a PowerPoint presentation and I felt like he was showing something that was too graphic. I could feel and sense how uncomfortable it was making the students. I reached right over to the computer and pushed stop on his presentation. I told him it was too graphic and he needed to move on. Tim told me "you are like BATMAN" (quote from Seinfeld). I have been known on several occasions to stop in the middle of class when an appropriate occasion arises and say something like "okay its time for a life lesson now", and then proceed to tell a story or experience that I feel will benefit the students for life. I have laughed so hard at times that tears have run down my face and I have cried as I have listened to heartache and shared life experiences with the students and said my goodbye to the seniors as they move on.

I'm trying to decide if it is time for me to graduate in May or not. Right now I am just taking a day at a time and hoping that I will know when it is my time to graduate. I have a greater appreciation for teachers and administrators. The system is not perfect, but in general there is still a lot of good out there. I do feel a love for the students and they have taught me many life lessons too. I have a much greater compassion for growing up. It isn't easy out there.

3 comments:

Lilian said...

I can picture you in many of the situations you spoke of.

I agree that Jr. High is the "caught in the middle of in between". I have told many people that from my own experience as a mom of jr. high students, that I love high school and think jr. high stinks. A couple of my boys seemed to excell and "blossom" (if you can use that word for a boy) way better in high school than in jr. high.

I also think that girls are way less forgiving than boys when you talk about the discipline.

Next year will be my first in 8 years without someone in high school. Regardless of my previous statements... I'll welcome the short break from the dances, dating, band competitions (yep even that) and the drama! LOL!

Marivic said...

Sounds like you have the gift to touch young people in a positive way and influence their lives, Margie. I think you should stay in the school system as a teacher even when you don't have any of your children in high school anymore.

I don't remember middle school or high school as either hard or easy. Tara was moody and super emotionally invested in cheer leading then theatre which was exhausting, for me as a parent and AJ had a big solid group of friends, but tended to be quiet and not talk to us much (still doesn't!)which can be worrisome. But I guess it's not too different from what I expected to be "normal". But both of them do say middle school was awful compared to high school. I am just happy my kids are so much better behaved and better adjusted than I was at the same age. Maybe if there was a "Margie" in my school I would probably have behaved better :-)

Archie said...

Margie I really enjoyed this post. You have always impressed me with your passion for the things that you put your heart into, and clearly teaching is one of your passions.

I believe that one component of being a successful teacher,whether it be school, church or something else, is courage. The courage to share yourself, your thoughts, your beliefs, your ideas with others. To be a substitute is even more courageous in my opinion because I remember as a student really giving substitutes grief from time to time. :-)

Whatever your decision for the future you have undoubtedly touched and impacted the lives of others for the better. Seeds like that plant deep and sprout throughout our lives when nourished with inspiration.

Margie you are awesome!