July 7, 2009

VAMPIRES SUCK: a blog by Megan

Over the years, Literature has had a huge impact on the American Tradition. From Margaret Mitchell's 'Scarlett O'Hara' to Louisa May Alcott's 'Jo March', women have looked up to these strong female characters. Now, in the twenty first century, mothers wonder "Who can my daughter look to for a role model in books these days?!" Well, have no fear ladies. Bella Swan is here. There's nothing more heroic than droning on for pages and pages about Edward's "shimmering stony chest" or how she is "completely and utterly, totally and magnificently, wholly, IRREVOCABLY in love with him!" Now, I'm not saying we can't enjoy a little bit of romance now and again, but how romantic is it really? From what I understand (and yes, I have read all four books), is that Bella fell in love with Edward for his irresistible looks, and Edward simply thought Bella smelled tasty. Hmmm......that's...cute? Then again, I guess, Edward DOES sparkle! I forgot about that manly characteristic of his. It's a wonder to me that Stephenie Meyer could write four whole books on all of this. I mean, I guess all those fancy adjectives and descriptions of shallow attributes WOULD take up a lot of space, and she had to fit in the actual storyline. Personally this is what I would have preferred. "Once upon a time there was a clumsy girl who smelled good named Bella. She moved in with her dad, and met a hot guy she fell irrevocably in love with in a short amount of time. Later on she found out he was a vampire, and barely escaped death by his evil nemesis. He left her for awhile so she could be "safe", but his plan failed seeing as she tried committing suicide without him. They were later married after she escaped the "Vulturi", the most evil vamps, and Victoria, whom had tried seeking revenge for her lover after Edward had killed him. They were married, had a child who tried to destroy Bella from the inside, and whom was the victim of a pedophile by Bella's best friend/werewolf Jacob. After pages and pages of plan for attack, they gained victory on the Vulturi with no major character deaths, and with really no emotional impact on the reader of the series. THE END" Okay, so I exaggerated a bit, but I really think this sums up the entire series, give or take a few stony chests. I guess the part about Edward being a vampire was a big shocker, especially when Meyer plastered "First Edward was a vampire" on the back cover of the book. Go Figure. And last but CERTAINLY not least, is Edward really that great? He may be good looking (and don't forget that stony chest!) but he's one hundred and eight and hasn't had ANY relationships. You'd think he'd at least have dated a few girls before finding his true "soul" mate. Or do vampires have souls? I mean, it's pretty obvious he has no personality. I think us girls need to give the guys a break. Do we really want our perfect Edward? Pale, pale white, copper eyes that turn red when their hungry, sparkling in the sun and that 'crooked' smile? I'd rather take Aunt Lilian's advice and dream of David Beckham.;) Now, don't take offense to this post. Yes, I know it's a popular series and Stephenie Meyer made a lot of money from millions of fans. I mean, I admit, I HAVE read them. (although I do not own any) But next time you pick it up for a bit of light reading, remember, you are about to venture into a creepy, and poorly written version of a thirteen year old girls Diary. :)

9 comments:

Melissa said...

HAHAHAHAHA Megan that was hilarious! Very well written and awesome. I'm going to change it to show that you wrote it instead of mom so that people aren't confused...so awesome

Melissa said...

Adam Turney says:
Amen Megan, amen. I cannot comprehend the appeal of this poorly written series. Good to read that not every girl got sucked into Twilight and that you see it for how amazing it truly is.

Marivic said...

Good job Megan! Very well written review. I don't have any opinion on the books though. Never read any of them. Not my type of literature. Didn't see the movie either.

Lilian said...

Funny thing is.... the first thing that caught my eye was the picture of David Beckham!!! While I did enjoy the series of books until the last one (which totally STINKS and should never have been written), I do agree with some of what you say. Stephenie Meyer is NOT a literary genious and I'm sure has sung her swan song as far as writing is concerned. I'm not very impressed with the storyline coming from someone who is influencing young women in such a way that is actually contrary to her "beliefs."

Bea said...

Very well written Megan. Now all you have to do is think up a storyline and write a book. I have not read the books and do not intend reading the books and could not understand the hype and cannot understand how someone with the background of the author could write such nonsense, I remind you I have not read the book. I did go to Lilian's with many of my family to watch the movie and all I could think was, "I could be home watching a good murder" (Agatha Christie)but you have a creative flair. Go for it.

Lesley said...

First of all; Megan you are a good writer. I loved that review of The "Twilight" series. You forgot to mention that in the second book the author spends approximately 3 pages describing Jacob sleeping and how frustrated Bella was watching him. Aaarrrgggg!! I read the first book and did not read another for a year. I read the 2nd and 3rd rather quickly. I read 4 chapters of the 4th and closed the book never to return to it. I cannot stand Bella Swan (role-model?) and I much prefer Cedric Diggory to Edward :-)

PS We need to hear more from you Megan.

Anonymous said...

get over it.

its supposed to be a FUN series of books. it was never supposed to be life-changing. i'm sure stephanie meyer's goal was NOT to be looked on as this great literary leader of our time. she was writing for FUN. people read these books for FUN.

if you don't like the books, then don't read them. its a simple as that.

Dani said...

Hahahaha! Megan, thank you. You are not only hilarious, but dead on.

You're a very good writer, and that's NOT just in comparison to my summer school kids--I mean a really good writer compared to anyone.

P.S. Come teach my class how to summarize.

Melissa said...

Girl talk is great- If you don't like the opinion of the blogger don't read it- it's as simple as that :)