November 15, 2009

CALLED TO SERVE HIM...

Elder Marsden in front of the Adelaide, Australia temple...November 2009
Sean turns twenty years old today...that is if you live in Australia. It never fails that every day and of course every year when Sean's birthday comes around I can't help but thank my Heavenly Father for the blessing of Sean.

Over twenty years ago when I was pregnant with Sean, I started to develop some serious problems. The doctor told me I had a severe tear in the placenta. I was threatening to miscarry Sean. I was devastated and discouraged. Previous to Sean's birth I had suffered multiple miscarriages and things felt hopeless to me. I can very vividly remember where I was and when it was when uttered a fervent plea and started to bargain with Heavenly Father that if he would allow me to have this baby, I would do everything in my power to raise that child up to Him. I continued that prayer throughout my pregnancy and when Sean was born at 6:06 p.m. on November 16, Dr. Steele showed me the miracle of the scar tissue that had formed to strengthen and save Sean's life. I remember the Dr. being very surprised by the miracle. He was not my regular Dr. that delivered Sean because Sean had decided to make a quick entrance into this world.

We had two names picked out while I was still pregnant. The deciding factor for me to choose the name Sean was when I learned that Sean means "God is gracious." My joy is very full this day as I know God is gracious and I am thankful for Sean. I am thankful Sean is serving on a mission. I am grateful he is happy. I am grateful that he is where he is and is doing what he is doing these 20+ years later after my plea to a loving Heavenly Father who answered my prayer.

P.S. I love all of you too, and I so appreciate all the support and prayers in Elder Marsden's behalf!

7 comments:

Melissa said...

This is a great story...it reminded me of Hannah--not my Hannah but the Hannah in the bible who prayed that if she would be able to have a child she would give him back to the Lord. I didn't know that's what Sean meant. Hannah means 'God's Grace' so that is kind of cool for Uncle and Niece. Happy birthday Sean!

Lilian said...

Happy Birthday to Elder Marsden today. Thanks for sharing this story. I know how difficult it is for you to be away from him on his birthday.

Bea said...

Somewhere I have video of Sean not many minutes after his birth. Shows the clock. It also shows the "U" lit up on the hill. Some would say it was because the rivalry game was to be played on Saturday, but this Granma knows differently and I state it on the video. It was lit to welcome Sean!!!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SEAN!!!!!

Brian and Carly said...

Thanks for bringing him into this world Margie. He is incredible and so much more!

Marivic said...

Happy birthday to Sean. I can't believe he is 20! It's great to know he has grown up to be the kind of young man his Mommy is proud of, and it's a privilege to know him. Please let him know we love him.

Georgia said...

Happy birthday Sean and Margie. I've always thought that the Mother deserves to be celebrated the most on a birthday.

What a wonderful tribute to a marvelous young man and missionary. Lets all celebrate this great blessing to the Marsden Family, Adalaide Australia and all of us who are blessed to know him.

Lesley said...

I hope that Sean had a wondeful birthday!! I thought of him Sunday and Monday, the time difference is all so confusing. Thanks for sharing Sean's story with us.